ExcerptSINGAPOREAN couples may not be happy with their partners but they will still marry them anyway,
a global survey on relationships shows.
The poll of 716 couples who planned to wed showed that 39 percent were unhappy in their relationships, the highest proportion of nine societies surveyed by a US-based marriage and family therapy organisation.
The poll is the latest unflattering survey of ardour in a wealthy population that chases what is known in local parlance as the Five C's: career, condominium, club, credit cards and cars.
This is an excerpt. For full article, click here.
New words you will see in this article:
Try to guess what these words mean from reading the article.
hit a record low
paint a ... picture
speak (one's) mind
tie the knot
1. What are some reasons people get married?
2. What do you think is/are the best reason(s) for couples to "tie the knot?"
3. Would you recommend marrying for reasons other than "love?" Why or why not?
4. If a couple is not happy before marriage, do you think they will be happy together after marriage?
5. If you were a therapist, what would you suggest for people who aren't happy
design by web design company